Saint Paul Catholic School traces its history back more than 150 years. Bishop John Henry Luers sent Father Michael O’Reilly, a native of Ireland, to Valparaiso in 1863 to minister to local Catholics. Saint Paul Catholic Church had been established in the late 1850s, but when Father O’Reilly arrived, he discovered it had closed due to financial troubles. Undaunted, he plodded on foot through the snow trying to locate a few Catholics. He rented a hall for two dollars a Sunday to say Mass. But Father O’Reilly had a bigger vision. As the congregation grew, he raised $8,000, purchased an acre of land, and initiated the building of a school.

Menu